Smiley, Smile…not Smell…

Bambang Priantono

Once more when I am thinking about my own nations. It seems great, but also weird at the same time. Globalization has changed everything even to our basic cultures….smile!

Maybe many people know this jargon “Never talk to a stranger” or even “Never look at a stranger” or…even…”Never smile at a stranger”. Many Indonesians nowadays have adopted these sentences, I don’t know why. One of Indonesian basic cultures is smile. Smile has been integrated part of Indonesians, and I still remember when my mom told me for smiling to everyone, even to a stranger. Because we believe that smile, even to a stranger is a gift and good ethics when we meet someone. Eye contacts are also important when we’re talking to a stranger.

In a public transportation
A (stranger) : Where’re you going?
B (stranger) : Ooo…to Station B

It is not uncommon when a stranger greet or make a small talk, such as when I was at a doctor and in queue, somebody whose seat next to me will say : “What kind of illness?” / Sakit apa? or “What’s your queuing number? berapa nomor antriannya?”. It is not strange and weird as it is part of small talk. And I was surprised when even though less and less smiles drawn on many Indonesians, but Indonesian is still considered as the no 1 smiley nation. Economic, social and political problems have changed everything, but smile culture shouldn’t be forgotten.

When I meet a stranger, I still smile at him or her if it is necessary. Though there’s no any responds, or even I am considered as weird or insane, but this is the culture. The basic culture which has been faded by more and more individualistic eras.

Just smile, even to a stranger but not too much. Hahahaha…

Smile can make us look younger and friendly. Every nations has got its own manner in cultures, but smile is the commonest thing. Smile is universal and it is the closest way among two or more strangers. I love smile, though problems have been anywhere because my mission is when I’ll be forty, I still look like ten years younger than my real age.

Also available at: http://bambangpriantono.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/what-i-think-about-indonesians-smiley-smile-not-smell/

About Bambang Priantono

kerA ngalaM tulen (Arek Malang) yang sangat mencintai Indonesia. Jebolan Universitas Airlangga Surabaya. Kecintaannya akan pendidika dan anak-anak membawanya sekarang berkarya di Sekolah Terpadu Pahoa, Tangerang. Artikel-artikelnya unik dan sebagian dalam bahasa Inggris, dengan alasan khusus, supaya lebih bergaung di dunia internasional melalui blognya dan BALTYRA.com.

My Facebook Arsip Artikel

10 Comments to "Smiley, Smile…not Smell…"

1. Lani  22 July, 2013 at 03:31

9 hahahah……..nampaknya lurah siji iki suka pringas-pringis spt gundul pringisssssss……….kkkkkkkkk

2. J C  21 July, 2013 at 22:46

Mas Bambang, yang penting jangan pringas-pringis sendiri di jalan atau di tempat umum…

3. Lani  20 July, 2013 at 05:46

7 HENNIE : bs dimengerti kdg wanita keliatan ramah, suka senyum……gak mesam-mesem dewe klu yg ini pasti barusan saja ngendon di Pakem hahahaha……….

disalah artikan sama cowo……mrk ke GR -an Hen hahahah

4. Hennie Triana Oberst  20 July, 2013 at 05:29

Aku sedikit mengurangi senyum pada lelaki yang tidak aku kenal di sini. Kadang terjadi salah pengertian.

5. Alvina VB  20 July, 2013 at 02:56

SMILE….it costs nothing but it creates much. It enriches those who receive without impoverishing those who give. It happens in a flash, and the memory of it lasts forever. None are so rich that they can get along without it, and none so poor but are richer for its benefits. It creates happiness in the home, fosters goodwill in a business, and is the countersign of friends. (Hal Roach, Irish Comedian, 1927-2012)

6. Lani  19 July, 2013 at 23:43

BP : Well, it’s sound strange…….”never talk to a stranger, never look to a stranger” but it’s sometimes very true!
    But, it isn’t for me………I love to smiles…….and I love to laughs too………and being in Hawaii……people are so friendly……..we’re smiling or even say “aloha……..hi……….how are you………” to strangers……..

If maybe don’t get any respond back………don’t worry keep on smiling…………just be happy, life is good………..!

7. Dj. 813  19 July, 2013 at 21:26

lächeln kann verbreitet

8. [email protected]  19 July, 2013 at 13:39

no smile… only smell in Singapore MRT….
    try it your self

9. Matahari  19 July, 2013 at 13:25

Smile mulai mahal dinegri kita……

10. James  19 July, 2013 at 11:54