My Trip to Seven Countries (4): Budapest – Hungary 1

Lani – Kona, Hawaii

7 – 10 September 2013

Budapest – Hungary (1)

Today, I’m leaving Treviso for Budapest. On September 7, at 10:30am, Cristina gave me a ride going to Venice Treviso airport. It’s a small airport. I’m taking Ryanair, it’s consider cheap domestic airlines in some countries in Europe. Because the fare is already cheap, so they didn’t give any service meals/snack. Everything you want, you’ve to pay. It’s my first time ever fly with Ryanair, I like it, because they’re on time.

I arrived in Budapest at 2:15pm. I have to walked quite far from the tarmac to get to the baggage claim. I saw several Japanese, and Chinese tourists, mostly they’re European. I feel very strange, especially surrounding, all people speaking in Hungarian language, English is limited. After I got my luggage, I don’t need to go to custom just walked through to exit to arrival area.

I spot my pen pal friend for more than 10 years, picked me up at the airport with his son.

budapest-hungary1 (1)

(1) my friend, Tibor and his son, Adorjan, enjoy dinner at the park.

This is our 1st meeting in person, but I feel like I’ve been known him for a long time. He introduced me to his 10 year old son, Adorjan, he is big for 10 year old boy, unfortunately he only speaks Hungarian and Italian.

budapest-hungary1 (2)

(2) Tibor’s family and me

budapest-hungary1 (3)

(3) Tibor’s family

budapest-hungary1 (4)

(4) me, with 10 year old Adorjan, he is a big kid

We walked to his car, and drove to my hotel. The hotel close to the train/bus station also mall. After arrived at the hotel, I check in. I put my luggage in my room, and we went out, to the mall, my friend told me, his wife, his sister in-law and his other 2 sons were there to see Lego mania. He introduced me to the rest of his family, and we walked together to show where the train station is. It’s a short meeting, after I said goodbye and I’ll meet them again tomorrow for sightseeing.

The three of us, Tibor, his son and me, continue going to Nepliget, it’s a people park, to see September festival. It’s a quite big park, a lot of vendors spread out the park. People are selling food, candy, bread, jam, Hungarian sweet, tools, games/toys for children, soap, and 3 stages concert music, it’s a rock band, most of the songs in Hungarian, but I heard several songs in English too.

These are some pictures from Nepliget park.

budapest-hungary1 (5)

(5) Kürtőskalács, Kurtoskalacs in English is chimney cake, it’s one of Hungarian famous sweet, with light taste of cinnamon.

budapest-hungary1 (6)

(5A) another vendor selling Kürtőskalács

budapest-hungary1 (7)

(6) Somlói Galuska is a sponge cake with with walnut, chocolate and cream

budapest-hungary1 (8)

(7) That’s is the price (ft = forint) for a scope of the Somloi Galuska. I didn’t buy it, it’s too rich.

Today, my friend is arriving from Slovenia, and we’re staying and share room in this hotel. I received a message from her, she will get to the hotel about 6:00pm. Unfortunately, she missed this festival.

I’m so fortunate to have Tibor as my guide, he speaks the language, he knows to get around.

budapest-hungary1 (9)

(8) Rétes in English is Strudel, with different filing inside. It’s delicious, while you’re sipping coffee.

Before I came here, I watched a movie on TV about travel channel. Because of that I already know a little bit about Budapest, such as the famous Hungarian Goulash, the Big market Nagycsarnok on the Vamhaz ter, it is near the Danube at the Szabadsag bridge, the Gellért spa which is a hotel with a spa, it has its own warm water spring. Kürtőskalács, Kurtoskalacs in English is Chimney-cake. Somlói Galuska is a sponge-cake with walnut, chocolate and cream, Rétes in English is Strudel, Lángos, this is the famous Hungarian bread.

budapest-hungary1 (10)

(9) Lángos, this is the famous Hungarian bread.

Comes many different flavors, I tried with garlic was so tasty.

budapest-hungary1 (11)

(10) This is famous Hungarian Goulash with fish

The next morning, Tibor and his family came to our hotel. We get ready for our second sightseeing around Budapest.  We went to Danube blend, we stopped by to a small town calls Szentendre. The weather is nice and warm.

budapest-hungary1 (12)

(11)the store is in every alley, it’s unique, it’s common in Europe. I love to walk around to this kind of stores, even only for window shopping.

budapest-hungary1 (13)

(12) The town of Szentendre, many shops, restaurants, and ice cream/gelatto.

budapest-hungary1 (14)

(13) one of Etterem means restaurant in English

Followed stop at the ice cream parlor

budapest-hungary1 (15)

(14) ice cream place, with Tibor standing at the door.

Next stop is near Kisoroszi on the other side of the Danube.

budapest-hungary1 (16)

(15) Beautiful panorama on the other side of the Danube

budapest-hungary1 (17)

(15A)

Finally we had lunch in the town of Visegrád

budapest-hungary1 (18)

(16) menu book

At the Renaissance restaurant.

budapest-hungary1 (19)

(16A) The restaurant where we had lunch. It’s indeed a very big restaurant, has many rooms total for about 460 people.

budapest-hungary1 (20)

(17) I had the famous soup Hungarian Goulash with beef, and potato, very delicious.

budapest-hungary1 (21)

(18) Roekid soup, with cream, lemon and potato dumpling with onion

budapest-hungary1 (22)

(19) Turkey breast marinated in fruit juice in honey sauce with rice and raisin

budapest-hungary1 (23)

(20) Grilled piglet marinated in beer, with braised cabbage and boiled potato with yogurt

budapest-hungary1 (24)

(21) a mixed plate, with foie gras, goose leg, turkey breast, piglet, potato, cabbage and pie.

budapest-hungary1 (25)

(22) This the condiments, it’s not common in Hungary, on the back left side is mushroom and dill, sour cream, garlic and ketchup.

If you want to know more about this restaurant check this out: http://www.renvisegrad.hu/index.php?setLanguage=en

About the menu : http://www.renvisegrad.hu/etlap.php

To be continued…

85 Comments to "My Trip to Seven Countries (4): Budapest – Hungary 1"

1. Hilda  2 December, 2013 at 21:51

iya nih mbak Lani yg ramah dan tidak sombong…heheh, salah satunya yg bikin aku kangen ke Baltyra krn ada mbak ku satu ini yg selalu ramah menyambut sahabat2nya ini….
    aku sekarang sudah berpindah tugas lagi, semakin ke timur Indonesia, nanti kapan2 aku buat tulisannya, karena tempat2 disini yg indah2 dan eksotis…sampai terharu kadang2 kalau sudah sampai di pedalaman disini dan menikmati alamnya….
    wah, ternyata mbak Lani masih inget ya tentang kecelakaan kakiku itu, sekarang aku sudah bisa loncat2 lagi kalau nonton konser musik atau mendaki bukit (belum gunung siiiih hehehe) tapi masih pake pen di kaki
    Hilda jadi bionic woman dunk sekarang….

salam sayang selalu ya mbak yg cantik dan penuh semangat

2. Lani  2 December, 2013 at 21:25

NUR MBEROK: halah pakai moyyyyyy sgl, opo to artine moyyyyyyy kuwi? Nek boso londo moyyyyyy…….tp emboh tulisane pie, artinya cantik. Nah, klu moyyyyy mu kuwi mungkin berbeda artinya yoooooo? Tolong kasih tau………

3. Lani  2 December, 2013 at 21:24

hmmm…just wondering, when I get a chance to travel around the beautiful europe…, but somehow, for now I have to be thankful could seen so many beautiful places in our country hehehe…especially in the remote areas, genuine and so exotic
    salam kangen mbak Lani
    ++++++++++++++

HILDA : pertama terima kasih udah komentar diartikel, kedua pertanyaan: kemana aja lamaaaaaaaaa sekali kg mencungul dirumah ini? Lagi sibuk banget ya? Semoga sdh sembuh 100% ya, msh ingat pernah kecelakaan kaki?
    Hilda, travel is travel mau didlm neg luar neg, krn tiap tempat punya keunikan tersendiri, yg penting spt pernyataanmu “I have to be thankful could seen so many beautiful places in our country hehehe…especially in the remote areas, genuine and so exotic ”
    Kamu beruntung mendptkan kesempatan travel di neg sendiri, remote areas jg cantik2, dineg seberang punya keunikan tersendiri, tdk ada yg namanya jelek, bagus, yg ada dinikmati saja, disyukuri saja……ocreeeeeeee?
    Salam kangen jg dr Hawaii yg sll anget
    hugs

4. Hilda  2 December, 2013 at 19:22

salam kangen mbak Lani

5. Nur Mberok  2 December, 2013 at 14:38

Yu LAni memang moyyyy setuju buto

6. Lani  2 December, 2013 at 11:46

T. MOKEN : Lani , seorang wanita yang ramah,dan rajin menanyakan email orang sehingga mudah mempunyai koneksi . Asset ini penting. Jadi saya setuju dng JC.
    ++++++++++++++++

Terima kasih sdh meramaikan artikelku, walau sempat menghilang agak lama, tp wlu begitu aku tdk lupa sama Moken lo. Terima kasih sdh dikatakan ramah (asal jgn diartikan rajin menjamah hahaha………) nah, klu tanya email itu sdh hrs dan pasti, krn dizaman modern, ngetik, langsung klik dan udah nyampe…….ndak spt dl hrs nulis ngirim via pos lamaaaaaa…..menanti jawabannya sampai nglangut (klu gak tau artinya tanya ke lurah Baltyra ya, krn dia mengantongi gelar prof. boso jowo hehehe).
    Mmg ada bedanya ant email dan surat zaman sepur lempung, dijaman modern ini kehilangan gregetnya, klu zaman kepungkur ada kedekatan dgn yg dikirimi surat.
    Nah soal koneksi ini, murni ndak pakai sogok menyogok hehehe……makanya (ngalem) diri sendiri, banyak pertemananku awet sampai puluhan tahun…….
    Semua aku kembalikan pd Tuhan krn telah memberikan talenta ini kpd diriku.
    Maturnuwn Moken

7. Lani  2 December, 2013 at 11:41

AKI BUTO : Lani, membaca bagian yang ini, memang nyata benar kekayaan utamamu adalah kekemrecekanmu, kegrapyakanmu dan ketulusanmu berteman dengan siapa saja, inilah asset luar biasa…(sambil bertanya-tanya diri sendiri TAON PIRO bisa ke negara ini)
    ++++++++++++++++

Hussssh, ora ilok! Mbok nek memuji jok duwur2 mengko nek aku tibo mak gedebug, langsung tele2/ngathang2 ora tangi meneh njur pie jal? Walau aku tau, pujianmu itu tulus from the bottom of your heart, halah! Kkkkk
    Kamsia, atas pujianmu ya, kita sdh pernah ketemu, jd wis podo ngertine, spt apa diriku ini halah…..! hahaha…..
    Nah, alinea plg akhir sptnya rodo ngece iki :
    “…(sambil bertanya-tanya diri sendiri TAON PIRO bisa ke negara ini)”
    Padahal, ini nyata bener, kowe mampu, cm aku akui mmg dikau ini sgt amat merendahkan diri, dan rendah hati, bukan rendah diri lo ya, kuwi beda bangeti!
    Aku yg hrs maturnuwun sm Josh Kharisma, tanpa dirimu mana bs aku pencilak-an, gedubrak-an, pecicilan, disini, dan duwe kenalan sak-ambreg2! Via Baltyra aku iso melanglang buana.

8. T.Moken  2 December, 2013 at 11:21

9. J C  2 December, 2013 at 05:36

10. Lani  1 December, 2013 at 23:37

RON V : Wonderful photos of a less known European country and it s cuisine, Lani. All the meals look tasteful.
    Although it s not too far away from here, i never was there to see myself, but now i see your pictures, i realized it starts to be time for me to take a look there too.
    +++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for comment in here. I believe you’ll enjoy the meals, it’s delicious. Never know, we’ll be travel together in the future.
    Anyway, see you in skype later, enjoy your cooking and the meals.